Monday, June 18, 2012

DAY 4 - Comparative Packing Lists 101






WHAT AM I GOING TO PACK!?!?
(helpful blog followers write in...)
You might think it's easy taking off for two years. Well I thought so too. And then I faced:
THE BAGS
THIS IS HOW I WANT TO FEEL:
  


THIS IS HOW I ACTUALLY FEEL
 

My brother Brian says to pack
Deodorant
Toothpaste
Underroos (yes, he really wrote that; I'm really more of a Granimal person myself)
A book
A hat.
   
My Friend Karen's Suggested Packing List for Europe and Other Far-Off Locations Including Cairo:

 Immodium
5 t-shirts, light color and same color group (same rationale)
eyedrops ( they smoke there)
Tums
1 summer suit or 1 sport coat (only if you plan to go fancy)
condoms (I think the french word is preservative, or similar. which begs the question, what do they call jams and jellies?)
15 pair underwear (you'll thank me later)
1 sweater or sweatshirt
tunes ( gotta have tunes)
15 pair socks ( honest, it's way humid over there)
2 swim wear ( is there water where you're going?)
iPad or laptop ( blog!)
1 black belt (or go beltless and buy one there if you need one!)
3 sleepwear ( you never know when you'll have to evacuate the building)
power converter ( I once exploded my hair dryer )
1 brown belt 
2 pair dress shoes, black,dark taupe and or brown (only if you need them)
camera
2 pair jeans
2 pair casual shoes
snacks
2 pair casual short pants (in the 1980s when i went,the men in Paris wore capris)
1 pair sandals 
essential meds 
1 pair linen slacks
1 pair flip flops
Tylenol
5 shirts, lightweight and similar hue (so you can wash them all together)
1 hat
passport
deodorant( the men there are ultra stinky, but you don't have to be)
suncreen
manbag (if you carry one. They are really handy.)
toothbrush, toothpaste
moisturizer
chapstick

Or, follow Anderson Cooper's lead and pack one change of clothes, combat boots, a pound of nuts and tunafish in a pouch, a satellite phone and go. 
 
I think Karen has a sherpa on every trip she takes!


TUNE IN WEDNESDAY TO SEE WHAT I ACTUALLY PACK! And yes Shelli, I'm up way past midnight, so I'm counting today as SUNDAY. And I'm counting DOWN to my departure.

2 comments:

  1. Don't forget that life size pic of me I so generously got you as a going away gift!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture IS my luggage. I just built a frame around it, added canvas and zippers and voila! A suitcase!

    ReplyDelete