Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Secret Life of the Eiffel Tower

I'm not French, but I worship the Eiffel Tower. There is just something about this structure that stays with me. I could stare at it all day. And yesterday I did. I sat in the park called the Champs de Mars, did some writing, and waited for sunset and dark for the fireworks for Bastille Day. Trying to get to the Eiffel Tower on Bastille Day is a task in itself. It took a subway, a bike, and a lot of walking (in and out), but I finally found a gazebo that was almost empty and set up shop. On the way, I got some shots of something you don't see very often... glimpses of a tower that is over 1,000 feet high and yet seems to be hiding.




The tower is closed on Bastille Day to prepare for the fireworks show. At 11 pm, the tower goes dark and they put on a 1/2 hour fireworks show to music. The theme this year was the disco music of the 70s and 80s. If you look closely in the picture above, you can see the disco ball hanging from the 2nd level of the tower. Who says they don't have a sense of humor? And the first song was "It's Raining Men," by the Weather Girls, which is particularly hilarious since the weather's been so bad.



Soliders in various uniforms made a welcome addition to the festivities.

How does that hat stay on?

Even soliders gossip.

Which is taller?

Oh my God, they opened the space ship!

Spec Tac U Lar

That was  French for Spectacular


2 comments:

  1. We spent Bastille Day at Eastern Penitentiary in Philadelphia. Of course, it's a museum now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love paris. so jealous. I remember reading under the Eiffel tower when i was there for hours :)

    ReplyDelete